Beyond Tired: Revealing the Connection Between Mold and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

chronic fatigue syndrome mold

Imagine having such extreme fatigue and exhaustion that you can barely function, but it doesn’t get better with rest. This is a hallmark symptom of an illness called chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). This complex and debilitating condition affects between five and nine million people in the United States alone.

And while its exact cause isn’t known, recent research has revealed that there is a potential connection between mold exposure and the development of CFS/ME.


What is chronic fatigue syndrome?

While chronic fatigue syndrome has multiple symptoms, the most common one is severe, unrelenting fatigue lasting six months or longer that doesn’t improve with bed rest and often worsens after any physical or mental exertion. The fatigue is so severe that it often interferes with the activities of daily living, such as working, bathing, cooking meals, and keeping a home clean.


How does mold cause or impact chronic fatigue syndrome?

Mold is a type of fungus that thrives in wet or damp environments. It can release tiny, airborne spores that can be ingested (eaten) or inhaled. This can trigger a cascade of health problems when the body can’t clear the toxins on its own, including unrefreshing sleep, brain fog and widespread pain. Some of the symptoms that can be caused by mold exposure include:

  • Fatigue: One of the hallmark symptoms of mold exposure, meaning it’s a common characteristic or trait. Fatigue can be severe and persistent, as patients with CFS struggle to perform everyday tasks that once were routine and easy.
  • Cognitive impairment or “brain fog:” Mold-related cognitive issues can appear as difficulty concentrating and thinking clearly, memory lapses, and even difficulty remembering words or creating complex sentences.
  • Sleep disturbances: Mold exposure can disrupt the sleep cycle and cause insomnia or poor-quality sleep. Patients can sleep through the night and still be exhausted when they wake up in the morning. This lack of refreshing, restorative sleep can contribute to continued symptoms.
  • Muscle and joint pain: Mold-related chronic fatigue syndrome can manifest as widespread muscle and joint pain that can be severe and limit daily functioning.
  • Respiratory problems: Mold spores can irritate the respiratory system, leading to symptoms such as coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. Patients with existing respiratory illnesses such as asthma or COPD can experience worsened symptoms.
  • Headaches:  Chronic headaches and migraines are common complaints among people with chronic fatigue syndrome and mold exposure. These headaches can range from mild to severe.
  • Sensitivity to stimuli: People suffering from mold-induced chronic fatigue syndrome can become very sensitive to light, noise and other stimuli. This can worsen symptoms and lead to a reduced quality of life.

The effects of mold and mycotoxin exposure can be even worse for patients with weakened immune systems from underlying health conditions or medications.


What can you do to recover?

The most critical first step to recovery is to find and remove the source of the mold. It’s important to identify and remediate any mold or water damage in your home or work environment right away. Mold spores can start to germinate and grow within 24 hours of water damage. In general, the longer the area is wet, the greater the opportunity for mold to grow and spread.

Mold can be hidden or invisible, lurking behind sheetrock walls and baseboards and inside cabinets. It’s critical to work with an expert in mold removal and remediation. These professionals can address the environmental conditions that are allowing mold to grow in your home and can also help clean the air so you have a healthy living environment.

Other steps you can take to recover from mold and mycotoxin-related chronic fatigue syndrome include:

  • Detoxification: For patients who have been exposed to mold and mycotoxins, it’s important to support the body’s detoxification processes to remove the mycotoxins from the body. Supplements like N-Acetyl Cystine (NAC), amino acids like glycine and taurine, and gentle binders like activated charcoal, chlorella and G.I. Detox can be very helpful. Consuming foods rich in antioxidants and supporting liver function can also aid in recovery.
  • Symptom management: Managing symptoms is a key aspect of treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome, and can include medications to alleviate pain, improve sleep, and address specific symptoms. 
  • Other steps include getting regular, gentle exercise, following an anti-inflammatory diet, and taking supplements like glutathione and turmeric to optimize antioxidant production and reduce inflammation, along with Vitamin D and B vitamins that support overall health. 

But the most important step is eliminating mold exposure. As long as you continue to be exposed to mold and mycotoxins, you will not recover.


While the connection between mold-related illness and chronic fatigue syndrome is not completely understood yet, there is clear evidence linking mold exposure and mycotoxins to the development and worsening of chronic fatigue syndrome. While mold exposure may not be the sole cause, it can be a significant contributing factor to the development and severity of the illness. 

If you or a family member are experiencing the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome or suspect you may have mold in your home or living space, the best action is to eliminate exposure and call a qualified remediation company like Healthy Air USA to help restore your healthy living space and get you on the road to recovery.

More Articles You Might Like