​​Short and Long Term Effects of Mold In Your Home

Exterior of a green home with a well maintained front yard.

Understanding the Effects of Mold

It is virtually impossible to escape mold. Spores are all around you. It only takes a little moisture and warmth to create an environment that leads to fungal growth. Initially, you might think the effects of mold are in your head. After prolonged exposure to mycotoxins, however, you realize that there really is something going on based on the symptoms you are experiencing.

Susceptible Individuals Suffer More Quickly after Exposure

Some people will not develop allergy symptoms until well after fungal patches are established. In contrast, those with mold sensitivity will show signs early on. You might feel like you are coming down with a bad cold. You cough, eyes tear up, and your skin itches. If you have asthma, the condition worsens.

Moisture in the Home Creates Multiple Problems

Mold needs moisture to grow. Sometimes, it is difficult to pinpoint moisture problems. Moisture levels in floor slabs and concrete walls can be off the charts without showing evidence. Other moisture problems are a lot easier to see. A roof leak, for example, leaves noticeable traces.

However, consider that the influx of wetness also creates secondary health problems. Bacterial colonies breed on organic matter. Some pests prefer damp habitats. Another problem is the explosion of dust mite populations in the home. It is easy to understand why the long-term effects of mold growth in the house – and the conditions that support it – can be so detrimental to your health.

Short and Long-Term Effects of Mold Exposure

Initially, you feel a scratchy throat in a particular part of the home. After mold patches expand, there is the release of spores and concurrent musty smell. At this point, most homeowners realize that there is a problem. They look for the source of the mold. Some will not find it. It can be as well as hidden as the inside of a stair landing.

Unless you take immediate steps to remediate the problem, the mold continues to grow. It now affects an ever-growing part of the home’s structural makeup. Spores spread through your space. They land on bedding, in air vents, and the kitchen environment. Other moist areas can result in secondary and tertiary growth patches. Before long, you deal with affected upholstery, paint, and carpeting.

Because you may not have located and fixed the initial source of wetness, it continues to create the right environment for mold infestation to continue. Depending on the source, it could create additional problems. For example, an influx of water in a basement can ruin items you store there. A roof leak may make the insulation useless.

Depending on your reaction to mycotoxins, the ongoing mold growth will continue to affect your health. You may develop upper respiratory tract problems that continue to worsen. You begin to suspect that your home is making you sick. Your doctor most likely will not ask about mold exposure and may simply prescribe allergy medication.

Mold Testing Takes the Guesswork out of Getting Well

Because there are so many long-term effects of mold exposure, it is a good idea to rule it out. If you smell a musty odor and seem to have all the warning signs, a simple mold spore test will tell you if there are elevated levels in the home. Contact Healthy Air USA today to schedule an appointment.

More Articles You Might Like