Is Mold Dangerous? What You Need to Know

Mother of two little children helping her sick child

Answering the Question – Is Mold Dangerous?

Mold can grow on almost any surface. There are countless species. Some, such as black mold, have built a reputation for releasing mycotoxins that trigger allergic reactions. Others can be harmless but unsightly. However, there is much misinformation about the fungal growths. Is mold dangerous? If you find a patch, what should you do?

Moisture and Warmth Contribute to Mold Growth

Nobody wants mold growing in a home. Even so, a large number of houses have fungal infestations. Frequently, this is the case because of indoor plumbing leaks, roof leaks, or wet basement flooring. Keeping wet clothes inside the home or running humidifiers can also contribute to the problem. Because mold spores are everywhere in the environment, it does not take long for the opportunistic organisms to spread.

Locating the Mold Problem

Frequently, a homeowner sees the problem. There is the dark blue to black growth along the grout in the shower. Slimy patches of brown growth appear near the ceiling. You might also notice the fuzzy exterior on the wallpaper. Sometimes you smell the problem before you see it. Mold has a distinct musty scent that seems to be a mix of stale air and soil.

However, there is also the possibility that the mold triggers health problems. Some people may be in a mold-infested home and suffer from sudden headaches. They do not realize that there is fungus anywhere nearby. Others react to mold exposure with breathing problems and asthma attacks. If you have a compromised immune system, you may experience additional health problems.

Gauging the Danger Level

It is impossible to say whether mold is dangerous or not. For someone who is healthy without any susceptibility to allergic reactions, it may be little more than an inconvenience. The same mold patch can trigger strong allergic reactions in an individual with the predisposition. Others may find that their emphysema worsens and triggers new conditions. It is fair to say that mold has the potential for aggravating underlying health problems.

Frequently, homeowners will first reach for over-the-counter medications to deal with the allergy symptoms. When these worsen, they might visit a doctor. However, this is often down the line. By that time, you may have already been exposed to mycotoxins for a while. Even then, it may take longer to find out what is making you sick. A doctor rarely asks about mold exposure.

How to Deal with Mold

If the mold grows on non-porous surfaces such as steel or glass, you can wipe it off. Wear protective gear, buy a commercial mold killer, and spray the surfaces. Follow the directions on the bottle. Afterward, throw away the sponge and other cleaning items.

When mold grows on rugs, carpeting, and wallpaper, it is best to throw out these items. It is easier to replace them than try to restore them. If the mold grows on porous items such as drywall and wood, you need to enlist the help of a remediation specialist. Standard mold killers do not penetrate the porous surfaces. Even if you keep spraying them, the mold will keep coming back.

So, is mold dangerous? It could be. Err on the side of caution and contact Healthy Air USA today for assistance.

More Articles You Might Like